Monday, March 16, 2009

State Of The Industry

Sure, it's easy to sit back like a Monday morning quarterback and lament about the state of the music industry. There are many caught in suspended animation while awaiting the inevitable axe to fall upon them. We can scrutinize in great detail the falling number of CD sales, the increase in file sharing and digital downloads, and the overall reduction of music related revenue.

But I am a reasonable man. I prefer to look at the evidence in pursuit of the truth. Here is what I've observed and/or learned:
  1. Music has been around since the very dawn of humanity... maybe even before!
  2. Music has survived famine, plague, pestulence, world war, recession, holocaust, fad, and ADHD.
  3. From the moment I became interested in music, there have been an endless stream of people (mostly fellow musicians) who were constantly at the ready to complain about how bad things are.
  4. I've been a musician for over 30 years and music is still composed, arranged, performed, recorded, listened to, and purchased.

Thus, here is what I've deduced:

  1. Music will continue to be composed
  2. Music will continue to be arranged
  3. Music will continue to be performed
  4. Music will continue to be recorded
  5. Music will continue to be listened to
  6. Music will continue to be purchased
  7. Music will continue...

Now, all that said, it may be true that we must be willing to change our notions of the industry in terms of monetization, but this in no way is a sign of doom and disaster. On the contrary, it is merely a sign of change. In fact, I see it as a time of rebirth and a sign of great things to come.

I, for one, refuse to be sucked into the undertow of negativity that seems to surround me. I shall ride the wave of optimism and "hang ten" past those that succumb to the deluge.


For those about to Rock, I salute you! For those about to crawl under one, my album is available on iTunes. :-)

ROCK ON!

Scotty

----
Click here for www.scottyhuff.com

No comments: